The Greater Miramichi Regional Service Commission (GMRSC) is a corporate body under the enabling provincial legislation. Its authority includes the ability to:
- Buy, hold, and sell capital assets;
- Submit applications for borrowing to the Municipal Capital Borrowing Board;
- Receive or apply for funding under various provincial and federal funding programs;
- Collect fees for specific services such as issuing building/development permits;
- Continue to generate and sell electricity, as was the case with the former solid waste commissions; and
- To establish ongoing standing, ad hoc, and advisory committees.