- Use baking soda as a non-abrasive scouring powder.
- Use vinegar and water for windows and smooth surfaces.
- For gleaming wood furniture, use 1 Tbsp. carnauba wax mixed with 2 cups mineral oil, or dissolve 1 Tbsp. lemon oil with 2 cups mineral oil.
- Boil cinnamon and cloves in water on stove for “potpourri” air freshener.
- Clean upholstery and carpet stains immediately with cold water or soda water.
- Open drains clear with rinses of boiling water twice a week.
Lawn and Garden
- Use peat moss, manure, or fish meal instead of chemical fertilizers.
- Start a compost pile.
- Leave grass clippings on the lawn or add them to the compost.
- Use organic gardening methods.
- Pull weeds instead of using chemicals.
- Cover the garden in the fall with plastic to discourage weed germination.
Paints and Solvents
- Use water-based paints whenever possible; they don’t require thinners or solvents.
- Use leftover paint as primer.
- Share leftover paint with others.
Look for products bearing this logo. It indicates a product has been found to be environmentally acceptable. Click here to visit the Environmental Choice website.
Follow this link for further information on HHW alternatives.